App passwords provide a secure way to connect third-party applications with mailbox providers, allowing you to access your email from external apps or devices. In this guide, we will walk you through the process of generating an app password and connecting it with popular mailbox providers (excluding Google Workspace and Microsoft 365).
Note: The exact steps may vary slightly depending on the specific mailbox provider you use, but the general principles outlined in this article should apply to most providers.
Step 1: Enable Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) Before generating an app password, it is highly recommended to enable two-factor authentication for your mailbox provider account. 2FA adds an extra layer of security by requiring a second form of verification, typically a code sent to your mobile device, in addition to your regular login credentials. This ensures that only authorized users can access your account.
To enable 2FA, follow these general steps:
- Log in to your mailbox provider account.
- Locate the account settings or security settings section.
- Look for the option to enable two-factor authentication.
- Follow the provider's instructions to set up 2FA, which may involve linking a mobile phone number or using an authenticator app.
- Complete the verification process according to the provider's guidelines.
Step 2: Generate an App Password Once you have enabled 2FA, you can proceed to generate an app password specifically for connecting external applications to your mailbox.
- Log in to your mailbox provider account using your regular login credentials.
- Navigate to the account settings or security settings section.
- Look for an option related to app passwords or application-specific passwords.
- Choose the option to generate a new app password.
- If required, specify the device or application for which you are generating the password.
- Click on the "Generate" or "Create" button to generate a unique app password.
Step 3: Connect your mailbox provider to EasySender
- Open the application or device settings where you want to configure the mailbox connection.
- Look for the email or account settings section within the app or device settings.
- Locate the option to add a new email account or modify existing account settings.
- Provide the following information:
- Email address: Enter your mailbox provider email address.
- Password: Enter the app password generated in Step 2.
- Outgoing server (SMTP Host): Enter the correct server address (e.g., smtp.example.com)
- SMTP port number will typically be 465 (for SSL/TLS encrypted connection), or 587
- Enable "Use SSL/TLS"
Click on "Connect" and EasySender will establish the connection using the app password.
If you have any issues or troubles setting up your SMTP, don't hesitate to contact our support team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our support engineers will be happy to guide you through the setup process and answer any questions you may have.